Sunday, September 13, 2009

36 Week Apt

So Friday Aug 11th we went in for our 36 week apt (at 36 weeks and 6 days)
What should have been a normal apt, turned a little scary.

My blood pressure was a little high, a 5 lb weight gain and they were concerned with the swelling in my feet, legs and fingers. My middle 2 fingers and my right thumb have been getting "stuck" when I bend them, almost as though I have a pinched nerve somewhere. They had me do a urine test that came back with a little protein in it and they tried to take blood 3 different times but couldn't get any. And that's where the worry started, Dr. Hamel said I could have something called Preeclampsia, which has to do with my swelling, blood pressure and protein showing up in my urine. With this, they are concerned so they are having me do a 24 hour urine test (which I'm in the middle of right now- what fun it is collecting my pee every time I have to go to the bathroom- do they realize how many times I go to the bathroom everyday!) I also have to go to Unity's Lab on Monday morning and have them try to draw some blood. We have another apt Monday afternoon at 4:20 to go over the results. They said that if there is a rise in any of these that they might have to take Peyton early for my safety. They did a non-stress test on Peyton on Friday as well. They hooked a machine up to my stomach that had 2 trackers, one that looked at her movements and contractions to my stomach and one that checked her heart rate. After a couple really gross juices that they gave me to make her move- Dr. Hamel looked at the results and said everything with Peyton is fine, he saw what he wanted to see in the test. They want to make sure that she is sill moving around as she should to make sure my swelling is not restricting the blood flow to her. He wants me to stay off my feet, just taking it easy until they know for sure what is going on.

R and I were not ready to hear that we could be parents as soon as Monday- just getting use to the thought of it closing in on the last month, but we weren't ready to think about Monday as being the day. And it's a little scary just because besides her slowing down on movements or something - which she hasn't at all this whole weekend- the other symptoms are things that I really don't feel the difference to know if something isn't right.

We both took the day off Monday so that we can get some things ready just in case- you know like a labor bag- we haven't packed that yet! We will keep everyone up to date as much as possible to what happens on Monday- but all we can do is hope for the best for her and hold on, if it is time, then it's time!

No comments: